What you will learn
- Identify, explain, and use Big Data infrastructure.
- Solve Big Data integration and storge problems.
- Perform various data analytics tasks using Big Data management and computing techniques.
- Investigate existing problems on Big Data and conduct original Big Data research.
This program integrates a variety of topics to allow students to learn the fundamental facets of big data and how it is used in the real world. Topics include mathematical foundations (convex/non-convex optimization and computational methods), data analytics (from data collection, integration, cleansing, mining, machine learning, to business intelligence), and data processing infrastructures (MapReduce, Hadoop, Apache Spark, SQL).
The courses in this program are offered by renowned faculty members from the Computer Science and Engineering Department and the Mathematics Department at HKUST. HKUST ranks at the 30th in Computer Science and Information Systems and 36th in Mathematics according to 2021 QS World University Rankings by Subject.
Courses in this program
HKUSTx's Big Data Technology MicroMasters® Program
- 6–10 hours per week, for 8 weeks
Learn mathematical methods for data analysis including mathematical formulations and computational methods. Some well-known machine learning algorithms such as k-means are introduced in the examples.
- 4–8 hours per week, for 4 weeks
The Big Data Technology Capstone Project will allow you to apply the techniques and theory you have gained from the four courses in this MicroMasters program to a medium-scale project.
To earn the program certificate, learners must complete and successfully earn a verified certificate in all of the courses in this program.
MicroMasters programs are designed to offer learners a pathway to an advanced degree and can count as credit toward completing a Master’s degree program. Learners who successfully earn this MicroMasters program certificate may apply for admission to the Master of Science programs in Big Data Technology (BDT) and Information Technology (IT), and if accepted, the MicroMasters program certificate will count towards the degree. This MicroMasters program certificate will count as 9 credits (out of a total of 30) of the full Master’s degree, in either the BDT or the IT program.
- Data analysts, data engineers, and data scientists are in high demand by all sectors of the industry.
- Past graduates of on-campus program have landed jobs in technology, banking, finance, consulting, telecommunications, etc.
- In 2021, the average annual salary of a data analyst is $61,614 in 2021, that of a data engineer is $92,489, that of a data scientist is $96,609 (source: PayScale).
- The number of jobs in the data science field will increase by about 28% through 2026 (source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics)
Meet your instructors from The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUSTx)
Experts from HKUSTx committed to teaching online learning