Leading in the Digital Age
About this courseSkip About this course
The Digital Age is here. It is enabling the most comprehensive transformation of our work and personal life in history. The Digital Age promises a more prosperous and fulfilling life for everyone globally. But that promise is only as good as the capability of leaders at all levels of the organization to lead their units to success in a challenging and uncertain future.
Leading in the Digital Age developsa new mindset and fiveSkill Sets needed for success in the Digital Age:
- Leading Beyond the Edges of the leader's unit, organization, geography, and formal authority, enabled by Digital Age tools, to provide innovative solutions to customers and other stakeholders.
- Building Deep Trust Relationships: In the Digital Age, trust replaces formal authority as the basis for leadership.
- Forming and Leading Virtual Teams: The Digital Age relentlessly shrinks time space. Properly formed and led, virtual teams turn this challenge into an advantage over traditional teams.
- Collaborating and Co-Creating the Future with customers and other stakeholders. Multi-organizational value networks formed from a portfolio of relationships are replacing single-company-owned, linear value chains. Leading in this new business model requires a "co-creation skill set."
- Learning Dynamically: The only sustainable competitive advantage in the Digital Age is the capability to learn, adapt, implement, and learn as you go, faster and better than your competitors.
Leading in the Digital Age uses interactive tools to help you apply in real time what you learn from the content, other participants, and your own experience, to dynamically lead continuous innovation and change.
At a glance
- Institution: BUx
- Subject: Business & Management
- Level: Intermediate
No previous courses in leadership or organizational behavior are required.
- Language: English
- Video Transcript: English
- Associated programs:
- MicroMasters® Program in Digital Leadership
- MicroMasters® Program in Digital Transformation Leadership
- Associated skills: Digital Transformation, Distributed Team Management, Leadership, Innovation, Business Modeling, Virtual Teams
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
Learning to be an excellent digital age leader is a never-ending journey. Our goal is to help you immediately apply what you learn in this program regardless of where you are in your journey to the digital age or of your level or position in your organization. Using your current workplace challenges, self-assessments, video vignettes, and through discussions with fellow learners and your coach you will learn how to:
- Shift to a Digital Age Mindset
- Work and lead across the edges of your organization
- Build and maintain deep trust relationships
- Form and leverage a co-creation network for rapid, responsive, and continuous innovation
- Form and lead virtual teams
- Lead transformation through experimentation and dynamic learning
- Develop a personal development plan
Part 1: Leadership Capabilities for the Digital Age.
- What is the Digital Age and What is its impact?
- Why New Leadership Capabilities are Required in the Digital Age.
- Building the New Business Models and Five Leadership Capabilities.
- The Learning Format for Leadership Capabilities.
Part 2:Leadership Capability 1: Leading Beyond the Edge.
- What is the Edge: Why and How is it created?
- Why Must Digital Age Leaders Lead Beyond the Edge?
- Action Planning: Leading Beyond the Edge.
Part 3:Leadership Capability 2: Building Deep Trust Relationships.
- Why Trust is Essential for Effective Digital Age Leadership.
- Building Trust Relationships.
- Aligning Your Behavior.
- Action Planning: Building Trust Relationships
Part 4: Leadership Capability 3: Forming and Leading a Virtual Team.
- Importance of Creating a Team Charter.
- Preparing for the Team Charter Meeting.
- Launching Your Virtual Team.
- Assessing Progress.
- Action Planning: Forming and Leading a Virtual Team.
Part 5:Leadership Capability 4: Collaboration and Co-Creation.
- The Elements of Co-Creation.
- The Co-Creation Process.
- Barriers to Co-Creation.
- Building a Step by Step Plan to Overcome the Barriers.
- Action Planning: Implementing Collaboration and Co-Creation.
Part 6:Leadership Capability #5: Dynamic Learning.
- The Key to Survival and Growth in the Digital Age.
- The Dynamic Learning Matrix.
- Creating Your Own Dynamic Learning Solution.
- Action Planning: Implementing Dynamic Learning.
Part 7:The Digital Age: Implementing Your Action Plans.
- Assessing the Current State.
- Identifying the "Targets of Opportunity".
- Building the Needed Coalition.
- Moving to Action.