What you will learn
- Analyze and model situations of divergence and conflicts.
- Negotiate optimally and master strategies leading to mutually beneficial outcomes.
- Manage a mediation involving people around you either face to face or virtually.
- Adopt a critical posture regarding one's own and others’ conflict styles
- Identify the value of cooperative conflict management strategies.
Conflict management is an essential skill which has been shown to improve individual life and well-being. Any individual that masters it will not only become more efficient in their own life but will also be able to help others with their own difficulties, get better at resolving conflict, problem solving, decision-making and managing interpersonal conflicts.
In addition, conflict management is an essential skill to master in professional environments. Indeed, conflict is a most prevalent experience in the workplace as about one-third of employees report experiencing disagreements, instances of conflict or ongoing difficult relationships over a period of 12 months. As a matter of fact, conflict is highly detrimental to organizational functioning as it decreases employees’ motivation, increases stress, anxiety, and depression, and is detrimental to the finances of companies, either through an increase in sick leave or via lawsuit costs.
Finally, conflict management skills are of tremendous importance in the virtual world. Indeed, by their very nature (e.g. online disinhibition, anonymity and text-only communication) virtual environments constitute places where conflicts are most likely to arise and in which interpersonal and inter-team collaboration attempts face unique challenges due to the fact that members of virtual collaborations work across cultural, geographical and time boundaries.
This conflict management certification encompasses all psychological aspects of conflict and conflict management, both for internal and external stakeholders. Although work contexts will be tackled throughout the three courses, our approach will be centered on everyday life conflict skills.
In each course, particular sections will be devoted to virtual environments. In the first course, we will introduce the phenomenology of conflict and describe how virtual environments influence the presence and escalation of conflicts. In the second course, we will describe negotiation strategies, and we will assess how virtual environments shape the way negotiation strategies are enacted and how effective they are. In the third and final course, we will introduce mediation and analyze the pros and cons of conducting e-mediation as well as put forward the advantages of hybrid forms of mediations.
Courses in this program
LouvainX's Psychology of Conflict Management Professional Certificate
- 4–6 hours per week, for 8 weeks
Learn the fundamentals about the psychological aspects of conflicts, get acquainted to conflict management strategies and identify your own conflict style.
- 4–6 hours per week, for 10 weeks
Learn the fundamentals of negotiation as a conflict management strategy and identify the strategies that will lead you to optimal outcomes and negotiation success.
- 4–6 hours per week, for 8 weeks
Learn the fundamentals of mediation as a conflict management strategy to effectively help others address their own conflicts.
- “Conflict is a normal part of life. Normalizing conflict management in a team, by providing a common language and dialogue tools, is key to eliminating surface issues early and gaining commitment to work through them.” (Forbes)
- “Learning how to manage conflict in the workplace can help business owners build better teams and healthier workplace culture.” (Indeed for employers)
- “Arbitrators, mediators, and conciliators facilitate negotiation and dialogue between disputing parties to help resolve conflicts outside of the court system. Their median annual wage was $49,410 in May 2021" (Salary.com)
- "Their employment is projected to grow 6 percent from 2021 to 2031.” (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics)
Meet your instructor from Université catholique de Louvain (LouvainX)
Experts from LouvainX committed to teaching online learning